The glass isn't empty. It's completely full

How full is your glass?

Positivity is the key to happiness. Everyone knows the stupid, overused question that a teacher asks after they show a picture of a glass half filled with water. They look at you with a smile and ask “Is the glass half full or half empty?”. The reason I think the question is stupid is that I don’t think that either of those answers are correct. You may ask “How in the world is that possible? It is either half full, half empty, or both answers are correct.” Personally, I believe that the glass is full.

The half of the glass without water in it is not empty, it is actually full of air. Therefore the glass is completely full of water, air, or whatever else happened to fall into the glass. Seeing the glass as full and not empty is often a metaphor for being a positive or optimistic person. Although I definitely see myself as an optimistic person, I think that there is more to the story. I try to approach every aspect of my life in a positive way, but the only reason that I am able to do this is perspective.

I live a fortunate life and many of the problems I complain about are extremely minor. The biggest worry in my life right now is my upcoming physics and calculus tests. Many people have asked me “Ethan, what’s your secret? How in the world are you not stressed right now? We have so many tests and so many assignments due.” The secret is that I put all of my stress and worries in perspective. There are millions of people that have something in their lives worthy of stress and worry. Many people don’t know where their next meal will come from or how long they will be unemployed. Many people are grieving over a loved one’s death or overcoming a disease or injury. Thinking about all those serious issues, makes me feel silly for worrying about something as small as a test.

I believe that the air in the top half of the glass symbolizes all of the hardship, pain or negative energy I have seen or experienced. WIthout the air seeing the glass as full would be impossible. It is all the negative energy and hardships which make it possible to be positive and approach life with a sense of optimism. One of the biggest hardships that I have had to face is having a brother with a disability. My brother Aaron has Angelman syndrome which is a rare genetic disorder that results in a severe developmental disability. Aaron can’t talk, had trouble doing everyday things, and will need assistance for the rest of his life. Aaron inspires me every single day. I think Aaron is the living embodiment of positivity. He is constantly laughing, smiling, and always spreading love. When I see Aaron I realize that if he can always have a smile on his face and be positive through all of his struggles, then so can I.

In general, I think that looking at my glass as full and not empty has made a substantial difference in my life. I wake up every single day thinking that it is going to be a good day, and I think that if you try to find the joy in every day, you will become happier overall. Seeing the glass as full has taught me to look closely and appreciate people, experiences, and all the little moments more. At first notice, it seems that my glass is in fact half empty, but after a closer look and some thinking, the glass appeared full. I have learned that there are many things we should be thankful for which go unnoticed the majority of the time

So next time someone asks you if the glass is half empty or half full, you should tell them that they are wrong and that it is actually full



Comments

  1. I think this is the best thing you've ever written. I loved reading this. It's so you. You're incredibly thoughtful, honest, and inspiring, and you have a great balance of personal anecdote and reflection. This is a really unique answer to a very common question, and that's hard to pull off. My only critique is the last sentence. I'd recommend tightening it up, maybe separating it into two separate ideas. But I like the idea behind leaving people with some solid life advice.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the writing style/tone of this essay just as much as I liked the central central idea of it (which is a lot by the way). I think the intro does a very good job of wrapping the reader in and making them want to read more. I especially liked how you presented a conventional question and then criticized the conventional answers, then introduced your own idea. The intro and the body flowed really well, and the last paragraph was a good conclusion. I think the last sentence could be cut out or changed, especially since you're a couple words over the limit. Good overall job though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I haven't talked much to you personally, I didn't know a lot of the stuff you said about yourself. I'd considered you somewhat happy-go-lucky before, though it was sometimes nice to have someone around that seemed so unconcerned. Now, I'm not really in any position to judge you.
    As for the structure of the essay, the fourth paragraph has some really important ideas, but they were presented in such a convoluted way that I didn't get what you were saying the first few times I read it. If you edit that to be more clear, that paragraph would be really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!! Actually though, I loved your perspective. I can say that if your goal was to convince the reader that the glass is full, you definitely convinced me. I really liked the way you used common knowledge about the glass being half empty or full, and transitioned to something personal. The flow of the essay and its ideas is definitely what convinced me. I feel like you explained your ideas well and talking about your brother really added that extra, personal something. I don't have any constructive feedback unfortunately... but that's because I think it is a great essay!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The epitome of innovation

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Camp is my favorite place